Saturday, May 9, 2020

May 2020 - Joyful Stars Blog Hop and Love for Mother: My Failures!



Welcome back to the Joyful Stars Blog Hop! If you've just joined me from the crazy talented Krista's blog,  thank you for continuing on to join me here!

First off, confession time!!!  I really struggled preparing for this month's blog hop.  I was not loving or feeling any of my art.  Although I had some visions in mind when I started out, mostly because I had my mom in mind, I wasn't near as happy with the outcomes.  Quite frankly, I don't care for either card I made this month.  And maybe, just maybe, you all can feel me on this.  So, I'm going to show my two attempts and explain why they were less than satisfactory to me.

ATTEMPT #1:


When I saw this Mother's Day Door set from the Love for Mother promotion, I really wanted to watercolor it.  Everything was a bit of a mess, including the unfortunate choice of colors.  I embossed it after coloring, thinking that might help.  It did help some, but the colors I chose went together WAY better in my mind than they did here.  I then exacerbated the poor color choices by choosing similar B&T and cardstock.  I have to also mention the fact that the crooked stamping of the door is something I just can't get past.



ATTEMPT #2:


After killing my eyes with the first card, I decided to go in a different direction with a another set from the Love for Mother promotion, All That I Am.  I did not want to make the same poor color choices as I did in the first card, so pulled out my Love Of Color book to see what would go with Raspberry, one of my mom's favorite colors.  The book suggested Peacock and Lagoon.  Since I wanted the sentiment to be the hero, I decided to just grab some scraps and make a square card.  The card looks a little better in person but still not something I had envisioned or hoped for.  Since I stamped and embossed over the striped scraps, I'm not crazy about the gaps in the image.  And although the colors were suggested for Raspberry, I'm really not in love with the combination, at least not for this card.  Maybe that's because all three colors have equal footing.

Anyway, I still have some time this evening to come up with something else for my mom.  I'm thinking I may have to dig out the third stamp set in the Love for Mother promotion, Amazing Mother.  If I complete a card that I like, I may come back with an update.  Fingers crossed!  Now off with you to the next stop on the hop, the ever talented Nancy Brown awaits you with some beautiful art!


6 comments:

  1. I completely understand how you feel. Usually when I don't quite like something I have been working on, I don't finish it and try to go back and change something or add something. I love that you finished them both. And we are usually much harder on ourselves. I actually think the coloring of the door looks kind of "Old World" something you might find in a small town in Italy. I'm sure you will be happier with your next card - I've seen many of your fabulous creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! I appreciate the vote of confidence!

      Delete
  2. You make me so glad that I ordered the stamp for your first card. You did an outstanding job of coloring and framing that lovely image. I like your bold colors of your second card also. Thanks for sharing your artwork.
    :) Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marie. I would love to see what you make with it!

      Delete
  3. We can all feel like that as crafters for sure! :) But I really like the different aspects of your cards! The embossing on the door one, and your stitched rectangle frame & your color choices too! Your second card, again -- love that you embossed the words and I like the colored stripes you put together. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Krista, for finding the good buried within!

      Delete