Friday, October 9, 2020

October 2020 - Joyful Stars Blog Hop & Distress Oxide Watercolor Celebration Card

Welcome back to the Joyful Stars Blog Hop! If you've just joined me from our wonderfully talented Krista's blog,  thank you for continuing on to join me here!

Recently I did a class for some fellow consultants on Distress Oxide inks and differences between those inks, the inks CTMH has in its product line, and regular Distress Inks.  As such I demoed some different techniques as well as showed some samples to illustrate the nuances of this special ink.  I love experimenting, especially with different types of inks, and seem to have inherited the moniker of "Bill Nye, the Science Guy" 😀


 

One of my favorite techniques to do with Distress Oxide inks is to watercolor.  I am a huge Kelly Latevola Taylor fan, so first and foremost, I want to say this card was wholly inspired by her.  Note that I made this card using the retired Party Balloons stamp set [Z4067], but I wanted to share the technique as you can readily substitute another stamp set to make a similar card.  To make this card, I first embossed the white balloons using Versamark ink and Ranger White Detail Embossing Powder on Ranger Watercolor Paper.  Next I used the "wet on wet" technique, by painting water heavily from corner to corner over the embossed balloons, then dropping Distress Oxide inks (Picked Raspberry, Mustard Seed, Mowed Lawn, Peacock Feathers, Chipped Sapphire, and Seedless Preserves), blending with the next color to provide a rainbow effect.  A heat tool was then used to dry the watercolored panel.  To finish the panel, I spritzed a bit of water over the watercolor, spattered additional Distress Oxide ink, then stamped "Celebrate" from the stamp set in Black dye ink.

 

To create the additional balloons, I blended the same Distress Oxide inks in the same order onto White Daisy cardstock.  I then spritzed water onto the blended ink, dried it with a heat tool, then cut the balloons out of the cardstock with the associated thin cuts from the stamp set.  After adhering 3-D Foam Tape to the backs of the die cut balloons, I strategically placed the balloons onto the watercolored panel.  The bows were cut using the Cricut and out of Black cardstock.  Finally, I spattered Clear Shimmer Brush over the card, although it is hard to see in the photo.

Now please head over to the wonderfully talented Marie's blog to see what the beautiful work she has done!



 

6 comments:

  1. So pretty! I need to try your technique - it makes such a beautiful background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betty! I would love to see it when you do!

      Delete
  2. Love those Distress oxide inks, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite thing in the new catalog! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Lovely card! Those spotted vivid colors just jump off your card! Great job!
    :) Marie

    ReplyDelete