Tuesday, June 9, 2020

June 2020 - Joyful Stars Blog Hop and A Million Little Things!



Welcome back to the Joyful Stars Blog Hop! If you've just joined me from the wonderfully talented Marie's blog,  thank you for continuing on to join me here!

After my mojo left me last month, I decided to take a little break from creating and continue instead to work on getting more of my inventory into Evernote.  This break helped me tremendously and made me excited to do something I'm still learning and practicing, but that I find therapeutic when making cards, and that's doing watercolor.  So I pulled out my paints and watercolor paper and water colored an image that was calling my name. 😊


Using Intense Black ink, I stamped the rose flower from the A Million Little Things stamp set onto a scrap of Watercolor Paper, then used some watercolor paints to do some basic water coloring.  (Go easy on me - I'm still learning!)   It's difficult to see in the photo above, but if you look at the close up photo below, you can see that after I finished the painting, I spattered some shimmer from the Black Shimmer Brush over the image.  I then cut it to size and matted on Black and Ruby cardstock.  The sentiment was also stamped from the A Million Little Things stamp set using Black ink and a card base cut from French Vanilla cardstock.  The matted rose image was then mounted onto the card base using 3-D Foam Tape.  Finally just a few Clear Sparkles were added as a finishing touch.

Here is a closeup of the card where you can see the shimmer of the Black Shimmer Brush.


Now for those of you who were curious about which Mother's Day card I gave my mom last month after really not liking my cards, the answer is neither one!   I ended up making a brand new card, which I liked much better.  I've been enjoying seeing a rainbow of colors on various social media sites and thought maybe I could try my hand at one.  So I pulled out the Floral Borders stamp set, inked up the solid floral border image with Candy Apple, Nectarine, Lemonade, Clover, and Sapphire inks, overlapping the color next to it.  I stamped this on a piece of White Daisy cardstock, then added a strip of Black cardstock as a border and thin strip of Gold Foil Paper underneath.  This was matted onto a piece of Black cardstock and mounted on a White Daisy card base.  The sentiment was taken from the Mother's Day Door stamp set, stamped in VersaMark ink onto a scrap of Black cardstock, embossed in Ranger White Super Fine Embossing Powder, and attached to the card using 3-D Foam Tape.  Finally, the card was embellished with a few Gold Glitter Gems.  Isn't it funny that you can be happier with the outcome of a less time consuming card to make?


Here is closeup of the card:


Now please do me a favor and head off to Krista's blog to see a wealth of creativity on display!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Joyce --- I love BOTH of your cards! :) The watercolor is beautifully done, and I ADORE your Mother's Day card too! Thanks for sharing your creative gift! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your cards Joyce. I never use my waster colors but your card is beautiful and has inspired me. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your watercolor card and how you showed the closeup. The black shimmer brush really shows. 2 good technique ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely cards, Joyce! You did a great job watercoloring and your black shimmer brush splatters are really wonderful accents! I love the bright colors of your second card.
    :) Marie

    ReplyDelete